A majority of the classification societies have the specific construction criteria for their smaller vessels including the fast ferries. As per the studies, in order to catch up the global standard of smaller ferries, some major constructional changes have been considered recently. The updated versions of the smaller vessels have the robust engineering and technical upgradations. Also, the water jets have been converted into the eco-flow propulsors to tweak the functionality and overall performance of the small vessels. According to the experts, the propulsors are a way better than the water jets, as they have manifold advantages. Every technology used in this latest setup, structure, and machinery add to the overall performance of the smaller vessels.
The Prime Advantages of Eco-flow Propulsors
During the reconstruction process, the designers have looked at the pivotal advantages of propulsion. With the most advanced and versatile propulsors, you can get a plethora of benefits. These are –
1. High-speed operation
2. High bollard pull forces
3. Less operational fuel cost
4. Wider operational range
5. The best DP operations
6. An improved operational flexibility
7. Environmental friendly functionalities
8. High acceleration
9. High maneuverability
Some More Advantages
The smaller vessels that have been introduced to Eco-flow propulsors have a huge power installation, specially designed for approximate 40-50 Knots. With a newly converted profile, it keeps the service speed of 25-30 Knots by minimizing its power and maximizing the efficiency. This upgradation has introduced a significantly better profile for the smaller vessels. Owing to the latest upgradation, the smaller vessels have been provided with the lower rate of emission and fuel consumption.
When the Decision has been Taken to Meet Different Targets
Regardless to say, the decision of converting water jets into eco flow propulsors has been taken to fulfill some important targets. Wondering what could be the targets? Look below to resolve your inquisition –
1. Emission reduction with help of the latest technologies on the replacement engines
2. The decreased weight provides more passenger seats
3. The improved propulsion efficiency has caused an estimated 30% reduction in fuel consumption
4. The reduced fuel consumption has resulted in the reduced carbon and Nox emission
5. Funding from the government and “green” institutions
6. A discernible reduction in the maintenance cost
7. The reduced wake
8. The visibly increased reliability
9. The maximized serviceability
10. Lower installation cost
11. More engine room space that propels better serviceability
12. Large range at the same tank capacity
13. Weight reduction in about 15 tonnes
The effective propulsion befriending the advanced hull form, upgraded engines and weight savings not just leads lower operational cost by reducing fuel consumption, but also results in the lower emissions by making the marine industry more environment-friendly.
Sometimes change is better, and in this case, the conversion of water jets is accompanied by a great deal of appreciation and success.